Thursday, February 4, 2010

2010 Media Day Round Up


Jeff Gordon adds to the NASCAR baby boom

The four-time Cup Series champion announced Thursday he and wife Ingrid are expecting their second child in 2010. There must be something in the water around the NASCAR compound because Gordon joins teammate Jimmie Johnson, Carl Edwards, Juan Pablo Montoya, and Elliott Sadler as fathers-to-be.

NASCAR Thinking of Lynda Petty

The NASCAR community learned on Wednesday the First Lady of the sport, Linda Petty, has been diagnosed with Central Nervous System (CNS) Lymphoma. The wife of Richard Petty, Linda will undergo treatments at the Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke University Medical Center.

"My family has always been my number one priority. I hate to miss any racing or racing-related event but at this time being with my wife Lynda is where I need to be," Richard Petty said.

Hamlin not worried about his torn ACL

Continuing to show confidence in his abilities to race with his injury, Hamlin explained, “My 80 percent is better than most guys’ 100.” A knee brace has been made for the Joe Gibbs Racing driver, however Hamlin doubts he will wear it due to how tight the cockpit of the car is.

Danica, Danica, Danica

Danica Patrick and JR Motorsports are still waiting on their decision about the Nationwide Series race at Daytona. The determining factor will be a “stellar” ARCA race this weekend. Patrick also made it clear while she will respect the other drivers around her on the track, she won’t back down. "I plan to respect everybody from the start and if they give me reason to not respect them, then I won’t," Patrick said.

Jimmie Johnson not too happy with Sam Hornish Jr.

The one hiccup during last year’s Chase for Jimmie Johnson came at Texas when contact with Sam Hornish Jr. sent the No. 48 to the garage early in the race. This was not the first time Hornish and the four-time champ got together and Johnson is well aware.

“He hits way too much stuff, including me, at important times of the year,” Johnson said. “And then he's never said a word. I wish he'd just walk up and say, Man, I meant to crash you. Either way, wouldn't you think with what is on the line, you would just walk up to a guy, it wasn't my fault, somebody hit me. The guy just doesn't talk, doesn't say anything.”

Hornish agreed with Johnson, admitting he should have apologized earlier. "I feel that maybe he’s right, I should have went over and talked to him," Hornish said "…I should have said something to him about it. I don’t have any problems with Jimmie, I certainly would never try to take him out."


Drivers sound off on NASCAR’s ‘Hands Off’ approach

- Tony Stewart:
“I think we got to the point where we got too conservative and too corporate minded on that, and even corporate America has kind of said, hey when corporate America gives you their blessing, I think it's all right to go ahead and loosen the reins a little bit. I think NASCAR is really smart and conscious of that. They never just say, What we've got is good enough. They never sit on their hands with it. They always look at how they can make it better.”

- Jeff Gordon:
“I think that maybe what's happened it's maybe just been a little bit too much policing. I think you still have to manage the people and the sport. That would be like saying, Okay, there's no rules for the car, so just bring whatever you want to bring. They still have to step in there and keep those intact. They still have to do that with the drivers…You know, I think now if they truly are going to let us police that on our own, you're going to see some, you know, tempers flaring and definitely a lot more action on the track as well as in the pits. I think that's certainly a good thing.”

- Jeff Burton:
“I honestly don't know what it means. And we won't know what it means until the incident happens, right? I think what they're saying is they're going to police Daytona and Talladega the same way they police Charlotte. That's the way I understand it. Which means rarely does NASCAR penalize a driver for rough driving. Typically those things are when they're blatantly obvious. A lot of those things are post race infractions. So I think what NASCAR is looking at is just taking that same approach for Daytona and Talladega…I think that's how it should be.”


***
Photo courtesy of www.thatsracin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment